Wednesday, November 13, 2013

a chilly three mile triumph

My best friend and I have been running the same 5 mile turkey trot every Thanksgiving morning since 2008, and each year my time has gotten just a little bit slower than the previous year. This somewhat depressing trend can easily be attributed to persistent issues with iliotibial band syndrome caused only by my own past foolishness, but despite the ever increasing times being posted on the finishing clock, I've gotten a little bit smarter about my training as the years have passed.

I've worked hard to incorporate different techniques and routines to help keep injury at bay, and since making a smooth transition into minimalist running this past summer I was really starting to feel confident about breaking my predictable Thanksgiving day slowdown. I mapped out an eight week plan to steadily increase the length of my runs, and things were going extremely well up until last week when the scheduling began calling for distances of 3 miles and beyond.

On each run where I attempted to reach the elusive distance, I started to feel twinges in my IT bands, some days the left and on others the right. Not wanting to risk all of the gains I had made since the summer, I'd inevitably back off and end the run early, usually about a half mile short of an even three. But today, on the coldest day since I began running in just a flimsy piece of rubber held to my foot by a cord, I succeeded in competing a 3 mile run, and I hadn't even set out to do it.

In preparation of the cold I ended up deviating from my usual routine in several ways, and it's hard to tell which aspect or what combination of factors lead to my momentous run this morning; all I know is that something clicked and it worked. I did a quick foam rolling session before leaving the house, and I walked for about five minutes prior to starting. Then, when I finally got to running, I ran extremely slowly, nearly 90 seconds slower than my usual pace. The run was feeling easy, and all I kept telling myself was that I shouldn't look at my watch, that I should just stop when it started to get difficult. Eventually I started thinking that I had been running for what felt like awhile, and when I looked at my watch I saw "2.88 miles" on the screen. A celebration was clearly in order; obviously at that point I had no problem finishing out the 3 miles for the day.

So as of right now it's tough to say if I'll end up breaking my streak and clocking a faster time than I had at last year's race, but I'm content just knowing that it seems I've broken a plateau in my training. We'll just have to see how the next two weeks go, and maybe things will come together on Thanksgiving morning as perfectly as they had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment