Tuesday, December 10, 2013

a month of blogging

I began this blog exactly one month ago, and while I don't yet write as often as I'd like to, I'm happy that it exists as a place to record and share my thoughts. I live in a rural area of Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay, a location best suited for retirees and summer tourists, so I don't often get the chance to interact with other like-minded individuals. Seeing other runners while out on the roads or the trails is an extremely rare occurrence, and one look around the local gym shows that there really aren't a whole lot of younger people in this area excited about fitness. However, since I began blogging and using Twitter regularly, I have been introduced to a much larger online community, a community of individuals who share my interests and who can relate to the triumphs and struggles that accompany our sport. In just one short month, I have gained and learned so much from the people who have also chosen to share their passion for running with others.

While my preference would obviously be to have running friends nearby, for the time being, I can be content with knowing that there are others out there, others who are logging miles and setting goals just like I am. On cold, rainy mornings, when the last thing I want to be doing is running in the dark, I find great solace in the fact that there are countless others toughing it out for the #RWRunStreak. When old routes grow tiresome, the #RunChatHunt is there to encourage me to try new places, and the pictures posted from those completing the scavenger hunt inspire me to make finds of my own. And when it seems like it's been forever since I've spoken with another runner, I've had the opportunity to communicate with the authors of the books I have enjoyed and reviewed.

I know this blog is young and that few people will read these words, but it's nice to have a record of one's thoughts and it's exciting to think about what still lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment