Sunday, December 29, 2013

a race at year's end

With my yearly reflection already written, it seemed that the year was quietly drawing to a close, but when I got an email about the inaugural running of the Snowflake 5K near my hometown, I obviously needed to sign up. I've always wanted to participate in the first running of a race, and to then have the opportunity to run in every one thereafter; I figured this could be my chance.

I only had about two weeks between signing up and toeing the line at this morning's race, but as a participant of the Runner's World Holiday Streak who had just come off a strong turkey trot finish, I wasn't really too worried. The out-and-back course had a downhill first half and an uphill second half, but I figured at such a short distance you might as well go for broke and really push yourself.

Already breathing heavy by the time I passed the first mile marker, I knew the pace I had set would be unsustainable for any distance longer than the one I was doing, and I questioned if I'd even make it that far without having to walk. When I reached the turn around point it was like hitting a wall; I had grown so accustomed to the ease of running downhill that the sudden change nearly brought me to a halt. I reminded myself that the race was already half over though, and dug deep to attack the incline. As I approached the final stretch, the ground began to level out, allowing me to charge forward. I began to sprint towards the finish, reeling in runners and passing them by. I ended up crossing the finish line in 27:34, easily my fastest run in a good, long while.

I had never run a 5K before, but I really enjoyed racing the shorter distance. It was perfect for going hard and gauging one's cardiovascular fitness. I'll definitely be signing up again, and maybe ten years from now I'll be one of those people getting a little recognition for streaking a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment