Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Review: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami
"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir"
Haruki Murakami

As a prominent Japanese novelist, Haruki Murakami has written dozens of books, short stories, and essays, but it is "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" that serves as his personal memoir, an earnest narrative that provides a glimpse into Murakami's approach to writing and running. It quickly becomes very clear to the reader that these two activities, writing and running, are of paramount importance in Murakami's life, and if the book offers one clear takeaway, it's that devoting your life to your passions is the surest way to live fulfilled.

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" tracks Murakami's training over the course of a racing season as he prepares for the New York City Marathon in November and then the Murakami International Triathlon of the following year, and it does this in a very distinctive style, interweaving exerts from Murakami's training diary and stories from his past. The book comes across as somewhat disorganized as it jumps around in chronology and from idea to idea, and many readers may find fault with this approach. In actuality, however, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" mirrors the very essence of running itself; much like a runner taking time before settling into a rhythm, the first chapter of Murakami's memoir is erratic and disjointed, but the book soon finds its groove and the pacing becomes more fluid.

While this type of delivery in a book is certainly not for everyone, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" really nails the wandering, free-flowing thought process that runners experience as the miles tick by. Unencumbered by the need for a rigorous structure, Murakami shares his spontaneous musings, and then proceeds to ruminate on these thoughts and attempt to discern any significance that they might possess. It is here in Murakami's descriptions of the mundane that "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" really shines; whether its his loyalty to a specific make and model of shoe or his description of the anxiety one feels over every minor ache prior to a race, every runner will find something they can relate to. Through reading Murakami's narration of thoughts that perfectly echo our own, it is as though our existence in the running community is confirmed.

When it comes down to it, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" is a book about intrinsic motivation, self-reflection, and pursing what one loves. Because Murakami employs a more contemplative delivery and a slower pace than other books in the running memoir genre, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" is not for someone looking for the typical globe-trotting adventure that chronicles exotic races. Instead, this book is suited for any runner who would like to better understand their own reasons for running. If you're looking for something a little more thought-provoking than the usual fare, pick up a copy of "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running," and allow yourself the opportunity to read it in one or two sessions to fully appreciate its meandering flow and tranquil pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment