Saturday, January 25, 2014

a meeting with the new recruits

Like many of the YMCA's in Richmond and the surrounding areas, my local Y was offering to host group training runs for the upcoming Monument Avenue 10K. Based on my previous observations of the crowd that typically frequents the gym here though and the fact that we weren't listed as an official partner on the race's website, I probably shouldn't have expected too much. Nevertheless, I was longing for other people to run with and I already had an in with the Y as a spin instructor, so I volunteered to help out with the training. I was looking for the opportunity to connect with other runners, but upon meeting the ragtag group of first-time runners this morning, my thoughts on the scarcity of other runners in the area were all but confirmed.

While offering my assistance in hopes of meeting a running buddy or two didn't exactly pan out, things weren't all bad. The five individuals who signed up for the training sessions were enthusiastic and seemed more than willing to put in the work necessary to meet their goals. We did a little bit of treadmill work to see what kind of paces and fitness bases we were working with, followed up with some lounges, and then ended with the usual stretches. All in all it was a good first day, and it looks like we'll have a fun time motivating each other and getting ready for the big the race.

It's an amazing thing to take up something as transformative as running, and I'm happy to be part of that journey for them. It's been a long time since my first runs, but I remember the excitement and the mistakes I made along the way, and if I can use my experiences and knowledge to get others as excited about running as I am, then volunteering will be totally worth it. Maybe by the end of this I'll end up with someone to run with after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment