Wednesday, January 1, 2014

a new year begins

After sleeping in way too late and then driving three hours to get back home, I completed my last official run of the Runner's World Holiday Streak, and my first run with the lumberjack, my new Lego running companion. For me at least, this seemingly unrelated transition signifies the end of one year, and the beginning of a new one. In the past few months, my running has undergone significant growth. I overcame injuries that had plagued me for years by switching to minimalist running, I broke a long-standing streak of increasingly dismal finishing times at my annual turkey trot, and I got myself involved in the online running community by starting a blog. Now as I look ahead, it seems only right that I continue to build off of last year's accomplishments and set new goals for the new year.

I'd like to start keeping a paper log again. I've flip-flopped between computer logs and paper logs many times over the course of my running career, but the switch to digital has almost always been out of laziness more than preference. I'd like to run at least 500 miles this year. I know for some that's a very meager mileage goal over the course of a whole year, but dozens of past setbacks have given me a great deal of respect for patience and incremental progression. Finally, since things went so well with the holiday streak, I'd like to continue it and see how much further I can take it. The official streak was 35 days long and took place between Thanksgiving and New Year's, but I'd like to get to 50 days and then reassess whether or not I want to keep going.

The start of a new year always holds so much potential. Why not make this a year of aiming high and working hard to reach your goals? I know that that's going to be my plan for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment